[CentOS] Bourne shell deprecated?

Wed Apr 27 15:32:49 UTC 2016
William A. Mahaffey III <wam at hiwaay.net>

On 04/27/16 14:19, John R Pierce wrote:

>> Which one? All the BSDs I know of use the Almquist Shell except for
>> OpenBSD which uses a patched version of the Public Domain Korn Shell
>
> indeed, the man for sh(1) on freebsd 10.3 says (in part)
>
> HISTORY
>      A sh command, the Thompson    shell, appeared    in Version 1
> AT&T UNIX.     It
>      was superseded in Version 7 AT&T UNIX by the Bourne shell,
> which inher-
>      ited the name sh.
>
>      This version of sh    was rewritten in 1989 under the    BSD
> license after the
>      Bourne shell from AT&T System V Release 4 UNIX.
>
> AUTHORS
>      This version of sh    was originally written by Kenneth Almquist.

 From NetBSD 6.1.5:

4256EE1 # man sh
man: Formatting manual page...
SH(1)                       General Commands Manual
SH(1)

NAME
      sh -- command interpreter (shell)

SYNOPSIS
      sh [-aCefnuvxIimqVEb] [+aCefnuvxIimqVEb] [-o option_name]
         [+o option_name] [command_file [argument ...]]
      sh -c [-aCefnuvxIimqVEb] [+aCefnuvxIimqVEb] [-o option_name]
         [+o option_name] command_string [command_name [argument ...]]
      sh -s [-aCefnuvxIimqVEb] [+aCefnuvxIimqVEb] [-o option_name]
         [+o option_name] [argument ...]

DESCRIPTION
      sh is the standard command interpreter for the system.  The current
      version of sh is in the process of being changed to conform with the
      POSIX 1003.2 and 1003.2a specifications for the shell.  This
version has
      many features which make it appear similar in some respects to the
Korn
      shell, but it is not a Korn shell clone (see ksh(1)).  Only features
      designated by POSIX, plus a few Berkeley extensions, are being
      incorporated into this shell.  This man page is not intended to be a
      tutorial or a complete specification of the shell.

     .
     .
     .

HISTORY
      A sh command appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX.  It was, however,
      unmaintainable so we wrote this one.

BUGS
      Setuid shell scripts should be avoided at all costs, as they are a
      significant security risk.

      PS1, PS2, and PS4 should be subject to parameter expansion before
being
      displayed.

      The characters generated by filename completion should probably be
quoted
      to ensure that the filename is still valid after the input line
has been
      processed.

NetBSD 6.1.5                    October 4, 2011 NetBSD 6.1.5
4256EE1 #

There was/is nothing at the end w/ any more identifying info.

 From FreeBSD 9.3R:

[root at kabini1, /etc, 3:22:38pm] 888 % man sh
SH(1)                   FreeBSD General Commands Manual
SH(1)

NAME
      sh -- command interpreter (shell)

SYNOPSIS
      sh [-/+abCEefhIimnPpTuVvx] [-/+o longname] [script [arg ...]]
      sh [-/+abCEefhIimnPpTuVvx] [-/+o longname] -c string [name [arg ...]]
      sh [-/+abCEefhIimnPpTuVvx] [-/+o longname] -s [arg ...]

DESCRIPTION
      The sh utility is the standard command interpreter for the
system.  The
      current version of sh is close to the IEEE Std 1003.1
(``POSIX.1'') spec-
      ification for the shell.  It only supports features designated by
POSIX,
      plus a few Berkeley extensions.  This man page is not intended to be a
      tutorial nor a complete specification of the shell.

     .
     .
     .

HISTORY
      A sh command, the Thompson shell, appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX.  It
      was superseded in Version 7 AT&T UNIX by the Bourne shell, which
inher-
      ited the name sh.

      This version of sh was rewritten in 1989 under the BSD license
after the
      Bourne shell from AT&T System V Release 4 UNIX.

AUTHORS
      This version of sh was originally written by Kenneth Almquist.

BUGS
      The sh utility does not recognize multibyte characters other than
UTF-8.
      Splitting using IFS and the line editing library editline(3) do
not rec-
      ognize multibyte characters.

FreeBSD 9.3                     January 3, 2014 FreeBSD 9.3
[root at kabini1, /etc, 3:31:58pm] 889 %

So FreeBSD does indeed appear to use the Almquist shell.

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."
                            -- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.