[CentOS] Bourne shell deprecated?

Thu Apr 28 07:20:02 UTC 2016
Brandon Vincent <Brandon.Vincent at asu.edu>

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 6:04 PM, Pouar <thepouar at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm pretty sure that's a variant of the Almquist Shell

You would be correct. All of the BSDs and some GNU/Linux distributions
use Almquist for sh if not using a symlink to bash or dash.

In fact, the first release of Slackware in 1993 had sh as a symlink to bash.

I'm looking at the source code for the Bourne shell as included with
UNIX SVR4 (circa 1988) and it's obvious that the version which Sun
Microsystems/Oracle shipped with Solaris under the CDDL is a direct
decedent.

The license on the source code for the Bourne shell shipped with SVR4
clearly states:

"THIS IS UNPUBLISHED PROPRIETARY SOURCE CODE OF AT&T"

Brandon Vincent