[CentOS] explain strange behavior

Fri Aug 19 18:38:46 UTC 2016

On Fri, August 19, 2016 1:12 pm, Dan Hyatt wrote:
> In my bin directory, most of the binaries are linked to it. It is in my
> path. I have googled this and cannot find anything close.
>
> I am running bash on centos6.8
>
> When I run   "which command" most of the files in this custom bin
> directory show up.
>
> When I run "which file.jar" it cannot see it, but I can *ls* the file
> (soft link)

Do these files that are not shown by which command have "execute" bit on
for everyboty (in other words, can regular user executing the command
"which" execute that file, and read that file: what is set in UNIX
permissions for that file.

Showing us what

ls -l /usr/local/bin/file.jar

(if it is symlink, show us permission of actual file symlink points to)

Valeri