[CentOS] Sound failure in CentOS 6.8

Sun Aug 21 22:47:59 UTC 2016
j_post <j_post at pacbell.net>

On Sunday 21 August 2016 15:32:55 Frank Cox wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 14:55:50 -0700
>
> j_post wrote:
> > On Sunday 21 August 2016 13:50:25 Frank Cox wrote:

> > > alsamixer may tell you something useful.
> >
> > When I select HDA Intel PCH, which is what it should be using, everything
> > looks normal with one possible exception. There are three volume sliders
> > labeled  S/PDIF and the second one has "Default" tacked on to it. All
> > three have volume set at zero and alsamixer won't allow any change.
> >
> > The default should be HDA Intel PCH.
>
> I think you set the default with the space bar, though I haven't done it in
>  a sufficiently long time that I'm not completely certain of that.

Space doesn't do anything, but there are clearly problems with alsamixer. The
only function key that works is F6 (Select sound card). F1 - F5 are supposed
to do other things but they all cause alsamixer to exit. Does it matter that
I'm running alsamixer from the command line? If I need to invoke it from a
GUI, how can that be done?

Thanks for your help,
Jeff