[CentOS] Sound failure in CentOS 6.8

Sun Aug 21 23:34:51 UTC 2016
j_post <j_post at pacbell.net>

'man alsamixer' shows how to access the functions the F keys should do.
However, I'd spent hours messing with alsamixer months ago, to no avail.

On my CentOS 6.8 machine at work, dmesg shows info about the sound card. On my
home machine where the sound stopped working, I get none of those sound
messages from dmesg. That's another clue that it's something to do with a
config file that got trashed. But comparing what I see as relevant config files
between both machines, I see no difference.

Obviously, there's something I'm not aware of regarding boot up initialization
of the sound system. If there's any other info I can provide, please let me
know.

Jeff