[CentOS] Can't delete or move /home on 7.3 install

Glenn E. Bailey III replicant at dallaslamers.org
Fri Dec 16 18:17:21 UTC 2016

This is a base install. If you deploy an instance in ec2 or GCE (ec2
you can do the free tier) it's easily repeatable. Even on a RHEL 7.3
instance. Note you'll need to allow root and password logins via SSH
before attempting.

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 5:47 AM, Jonathan Billings <billings at negate.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 11:51:28AM -0800, Glenn E. Bailey III wrote:
>> Doing a lsof showed no open files against /home. Something else is
>> locking it, not a user process. Also disabled SELinux, did a init 1,
>> and only way to remove it was via single user by passing
>> init=/sysinit/bin/sh
>
> It sounds like /home is being managed by something in the kernel, then.
>
> Are you exporting /home via NFS or SMB?  AutoFS?  I'm trying to think
> what would start at runlevel 1, although if this is c7 that might not
> be a valid description anymore, perhaps services are being started at
> 'rescue.target'.
>
> --
> Jonathan Billings <billings at negate.org>

"replicants are like any other machine. They're either a benefit or a
hazard. If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."