[CentOS] Can't delete or move /home on 7.3 install

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Fri Dec 16 19:29:28 UTC 2016

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 10:17:21AM -0800, Glenn E. Bailey III wrote:
> This is a base install. If you deploy an instance in ec2 or GCE (ec2
> you can do the free tier) it's easily repeatable. Even on a RHEL 7.3
> instance. Note you'll need to allow root and password logins via SSH
> before attempting.

I can confirm this.

The culprit?  NetworkManager has /home open.  I can't figure out
*WHY*.

# systemctl start NetworkManager.service
# rmdir /home
rmdir: failed to remove ‘/home’: Device or resource busy
# systemctl stop NetworkManager.service
# rmdir /home
rmdir: failed to remove ‘/home’: Device or resource busy
# systemctl stop NetworkManager.service
# rmdir /home
rmdir: failed to remove ‘/home’: Device or resource busy
# systemctl kill NetworkManager.service
# rmdir /home
rmdir: failed to remove ‘/home’: Device or resource busy
# rmdir /home

So it takes some time for all the parts of NetworkManager to die, but
eventually, they do and you can remove /home.

Unfortunately, I don't see any reason why /home would be in use by
NM.   Very odd.