[CentOS] CentOS 7 samba server + mac client problems

Fri Dec 30 22:30:24 UTC 2016
Noam Bernstein <noam.bernstein at nrl.navy.mil>

We’ve just started to try to configure a new CentOS 7 disk server, and NFS seems OK so far, but I’m having problems with smb mounts to a Mac OS X client.

I have the [homes] section as usual, and some additional shares restricted to specific users, but none seem to work.  I know I’m authenticating OK (both from the smbd logs and because when I type the wrong password the Mac’s behavior is different), but in no case can I see any files. The Mac gets as far as creating a mount point and opening a blank Finder window, but it’s completely empty, and when I try to select the server in the Finder sidebar it says “Connection failed” and shows a “Connect As” button, which just initiates another login/mount dialog window.

I don’t know what configuration bits are important, so I’m not sure what to include with this message.  I do know that I have things set up very similarly to our previous CentOS 6 smb server, and that one seems to work fine.

If anyone has gotten such a configuration working, or has any suggestions as to what options in the smb.conf file to focus on, I’d appreciate any clues.

								thanks,
								Noam