[CentOS] spec file frustration (rant)

Wed Dec 14 12:58:02 UTC 2016
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 12/13/2016 04:16 PM, Alice Wonder wrote:
> I'm getting spec files from centos git which is really convenient when
> the related source is easy to find. But some things - e.g. from a spec file
>
> # How to create the source tarball:
> #
> # git clone git://git.fedorahosted.org/git/python-rhsm.git/
> # cd client/python-rhsm
> # tito build --tag python-rhsm-$VERSION-$RELEASE --tgz
>
> Never used tito before, so I install it and try, and rather than giving
> me the source package I need - it gives me a python traceback
> complaining that I haven't configured some things properly.
>
> Seems a lot of the software distribution world is getting overly complex
> with an expectation that the end user who needs to exercise his FLOSS
> rights has to use git or nodejs or for php composer or whatever just to
> get what use to be available with no more complexity than choosing
> tar.gz or tar.bz2 or .zip if the dev was Windows.
>
> Whatever happened to KISS and why can't source tarballs be distributed
> as source tarballs?
>
> Back when I was a Fedora packager - the packaging guidelines would
> reject a package of the Source tarball wasn't a URL and if the timestamp
> on the tarball in the src.rpm didn't match upstream even if the checksum
> was identical.
>
> Guess those days are gone.
>
> /rant

I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish .. but the tools to get
an SRPM or the Sources from CentOS are dead simple.

They are located here:

https://git.centos.org/summary/centos-git-common.git

And they are very easy .. and most are bash scripts.

So:

git clone https://git.centos.org/summary/rpms!skopeo

(that just happens to be what I am working on right now)

cd skopeo

git branch -a (so you can see the branches .. optional)

git checkout c7-extras

get_sources.sh

=================

Now you have the full SRPM in the same directory structure as if you had
installed the SRPM.

If you would have used 'into_srpm.sh' instead of 'get_sources.sh' .. you
would have the SRPM generated as well as the full tree.  There are
switches for the tools (-c for get_sources.sh to check the crc info for
already downloaded files .. -d for into_srpm.sh for changing the dist
tag of a generated SRPM, etc.)

I use these tools for every package built for CentOS and they are very
easy to use.

Now, obviously that does not include development inside an extracted
SRPM.  But I normally just use diff (or git) to track changes and
generate patches, etc.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes