[CentOS] CentOS 7, ATI video, ex-X

Fri Dec 16 16:28:25 UTC 2016

On Fri, December 16, 2016 10:08 am, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> A user running gnome came in this morning, clicked on the application
> menu... and it was much shorter than he expected. He could get to firefox,
> and googled about refreshing that... and found something that told him to
> reboot.
>
> And that's it: I cannot get X up, at all. I just get the "oh, no,
> something failed, please log out and try again".
>
> Fully updated CentOS 7, [AMD/ATI] Oland [Radeon HD 8570 / R7 240/340 OEM],
> and, like most of us, he uses two monitors.
> .
> I've tried removing the xorg.conf, and renaming
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-fglrx.conf, which was there (I didn't put it there
> when I built the box a few months ago.)

What if you boot into runlevel 3 (that is no gdm or kdm...), log in into
virtual console, rename all X related stuff in /etc, and from command line
execute

startx

? What do you get spit on console, and what do you get in xorg log?

Incidentally, do you have security system that watches file changes? That
may tell you a lot. As an alternative, you may take a look at differential
backup - whatever was newly backed up may tell you a story. Unless backup
uses timestamps, and timestamps were fiddled with when change happened.

Valeri