[CentOS] CentOS 7, ATI video, ex-X

Fri Dec 16 17:14:41 UTC 2016

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 11:08:52AM -0500, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> I've tried removing the xorg.conf, and renaming
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-fglrx.conf, which was there (I didn't put it there
> when I built the box a few months ago.)

This makes me think it has the 3rd-party fglrx drivers installed, but
the new kernel you rebooted into didn't, and the GL stuff is broken.

Gnome3 requires a working GL X server, even if it's Mesa.  IIRC the
fglrx RPMs moved the Mesa drivers aside or something questionable.
I'd make sure you don't have a half-installed fglrx setup, and if not,
make sure that the Mesa packages are OK.