[CentOS] Can't delete or move /home on 7.3 install

Tue Dec 20 19:07:03 UTC 2016
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 02:29:28PM -0500, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> The culprit?  NetworkManager has /home open.  I can't figure out
> *WHY*.

NetworkManager.service has 'ProtectHome=read-only', which keeps NM from
writing there. I presume namespacing /home in this way counts against
unmounting it. This is a good security protection for everyone running
NM, so I can see it being worth the tradeoff vs. being able to move or
remove /home on a live system.

(It also has ProtectSystem=true, which mounts /usr and /boot read-only
as well.)

If you wanted to change this, drop ProtectHome=false into
/etc/systemd/system/NetworkMananger.service.d/override.conf (possibly
by using sudo systemctl edit foo NetworkMananger).

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>