[CentOS] heads up: /boot space on kernel upgrade

Mon Feb 15 19:12:35 UTC 2016

On Mon, February 15, 2016 1:00 pm, Ricardo J. Barberis wrote:
> El Sábado 13/02/2016, Valeri Galtsev escribió:
>> loosing
>> >
>> > I still like making /home its own file system, and if I'm running a
>> > substantial (non-trivial) database server, it also has its own volume,
>> > quite likely on its own raid.
>>
>> John, you made my day! It is so wonderful to know I'm not the only one
>> who
>> still does this!
>
> Well, I though this was standard practice, at least for severs.
>
> At work we usually set several partitions (/boot, /, /opt, /var,
> /var/lib/mysql, /tmp, /home, /home/backup) depending on the use case.

It is so great to hear that! I was shushed a few times by modern experts -
I bet on this list too - about following ancient practices and having more
than just / partition... so I felt myself as a relic dinosaur, and just
kept doing it and kept quiet about that. It nice to be back in a good big
company of other like myself ;-)

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator