[CentOS] heads up: /boot space on kernel upgrade

Tue Feb 16 15:24:00 UTC 2016
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On 02/15/2016 02:12 PM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> It is so great to hear that! I was shushed a few times by modern
> experts - I bet on this list too - about following ancient practices
> and having more than just / partition... so I felt myself as a relic
> dinosaur

On a public-facing server I tend to make /var a separate partition, and
sometimes I'll go as far as making /var/log a separate partition, since
I have been burned before by log file growth.  It does depend upon the
use case; for my Scalix servers the /var/opt/scalix dir was always on a
separate filesystem, and even today on an e-mail server I would likely
put /var/spool/mail on a separate partition or logical volume.  Nothing
like an e-mail DoS to take a server down when / or /var fills up.....

And I love LVM for the most part, since it allows you to do
'repartitioning' without really repartitioning.  Yeah, it adds a layer
of complexity, but flexibility does come at a price, and LVM is very
flexible.  Although now that most of my storage is on EMC SAN it is
easier to resize what the OS considers to be whole disks, and so I will
put different filesystems not just on different partitions but on
different LUNs and manage with the EMC Unisphere tools.