[CentOS] Just need to vent

Mon Jan 25 11:02:03 UTC 2016
Scott Robbins <scottro11 at gmail.com>

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 11:55:54PM -0800, Alice Wonder wrote:

> Oh and as far as a silent majority that prefers Gnome 3 -
>
> Ubuntu was by far the most common distribution for desktop users.
>
> It is quickly being overtaken by Mint - with the Cinnamon and Mate
> builds, not the Gnome 3 build.

Ubuntu switched to their Unity interface, which seemed to aggravate a lot
of people. To me, who uses neither, it seemed rather similar to Gnome 3.

I think a large part of Mint's popularity was less because of the desktop
and more because it included a bunch of proprietary drivers and codecs out
of the box (although these days, it won't play libx265 encoded video
without adding a ppa.

I prefer different desktops, so never got involved in the argument--it does
seem, judging from Fedora forums that avoiding Gnome (and this goes back to
the days when it was Gnome 2) saved me from a great many problems I saw and
see on their forums.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6