[CentOS] Hylafax without modems - SIP?

Tue Jan 26 09:57:17 UTC 2016
Gary Stainburn <gary at ringways.co.uk>

I've just had to replace my Hylafax server as the cooling fan in the rack case
has died and could not be replaced.

My box runs three fax modems, one for each of the original 3 fax machines that
got skipped years ago.

This means that I now have 3 lots of:

USB to seral converter (new box doesn't have any COM ports.
9pin->25-pin serial cable
Modem
power supply
phone line
analogue port on our Mitel 3300 controller

I was wondering if there a better way?

I've done lots of Googling and there is a lot of conflicting - and mostly very
old - information out there.

Does anyone have any more up-to-date opinions or advice on doing this?

Most of the concerns about reliability were based on IP latency, but my fax
server and my Mitel controller are both on the same Procurv Gigabit switch so
hopefully that would be quick enough