[CentOS] Hylafax without modems - SIP?

Tue Jan 26 15:06:11 UTC 2016
James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>

On Tue, January 26, 2016 04:57, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> I've just had to replace my Hylafax server as the cooling fan in the
> rack case has died and could not be replaced.
>
> My box runs three fax modems, one for each of the original 3 fax
> machines that got skipped years ago.
>
> This means that I now have 3 lots of:
>
> USB to seral converter (new box doesn't have any COM ports.
> 9pin->25-pin serial cable
> Modem
> power supply
> phone line
> analogue port on our Mitel 3300 controller
>
> I was wondering if there a better way?
>
> I've done lots of Googling and there is a lot of conflicting - and
> mostly very old - information out there.
>
> Does anyone have any more up-to-date opinions or advice on doing this?
>
> Most of the concerns about reliability were based on IP latency,
> but my fax server and my Mitel controller are both on the same
> Procurv Gigabit switch so hopefully that would be quick enough

We run Hylafax+ and use a Digium TDM800P analogue card in a Atom based
Supermicro 1u running Asterisk to connect to our fax lines using
standard RJ11 plugs. On the Asterisk host we run iaxmodem to listen to
the analogue ports.  Hylafax+ talks to the iaxmodem instances.  This
can be a network connection so it is not necessary to have Hylafax
running on the host with the FXO connection.

We have been running this setup with Avantfax as the UI since summer
2013 without problems.  The load on the fax host is trivial.

Canada  L8E 3C3