[CentOS] Just need to vent

Sun Jan 24 01:05:02 UTC 2016
Mark LaPierre <marklapier at gmail.com>

On 01/23/16 18:20, Alice Wonder wrote:
> Sometimes the direction of UI development in gnome really angers me.
>
> For example, when selecting a font for the gedit text editor - there is
> no way to ask it to only show monospace fonts.
>
> It's a fricken text editor, that should be the default - meaning you
> have to do something special to get fonts shown that aren't monospace.
>
> Seriously, who is in charge with the UI design in gnome?
>
> Whoever it is needs to be fired.
>
> /rant

Oh I'm so with you on that.  I'm good with the developers wanting to
adapt to the current state of popular computing, the tablet, but they
should be taking into account that not everyone is using one of those
toys as their interface.  Maybe they should develop a "desktop", maybe a
User Interface would be a better name, for a tablet under some other
name, maybe Gnome Tablet for example, that is configured specifically
for a small screen with touch sensing abilities.  A project fork.

I'm forced to use MS Windows 7 at work.  They have rolled in so much
smart phone/tablet stuff that it makes the desktop even more of a pain
to use than Windows XP was.  Examples include, you can have your
applications any color you want as long as it's gray, and you can no
longer search for files by anything other than the file name.  I didn't
like Windows before and I like it even less now.

The main reason I'm still using, nearly obsolete, CentOS 6 is because I
don't want to have to deal with Gnome 3.  I wish the Gnome developers
would stop fixing things that are not broken for people who use real
desktop computers to get their work done.  Maybe part of the problem is
that Fedora/Red Hat have not figured out that the OS should determine if
the platform it's running on is a desktop or a phone/pad of some kind
and then select a user interface appropriate to the platform.

--
    _
   °v°