[CentOS] Just need to vent

Sun Jan 24 02:32:21 UTC 2016
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 05:50:15PM -0600, Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> On Sat, January 23, 2016 5:20 pm, Alice Wonder wrote:
> > Sometimes the direction of UI development in gnome really angers me.
> >
> > For example, when selecting a font for the gedit text editor - there is
> > no way to ask it to only show monospace fonts.
> >
> > It's a fricken text editor, that should be the default - meaning you
> > have to do something special to get fonts shown that aren't monospace.
> >
> > Seriously, who is in charge with the UI design in gnome?
> >
> > Whoever it is needs to be fired.
> >

> I know, you are not seeking advice or wishing someone to join the rant...
> which I gladly could do. I was angry when Gnome suddenly switched from
> logical tree-like menu away to hmm... just search ("as you, stupid, will
> not be able to follow logic; which we, developers, don't possess ourselves
> anymore in the first place" ;-) Well, luckily, there is fork of GNOME
> which is called mate. That is what I use ever since. (It's easier for me
> as I myself have FreeBSD both on my workstation and PC laptop, and on
> FreeBSD you have to put your own effort to add X and desktop environment
> etc anyway). Incidentally, I just checked on my laptop: text editor that
> comes with mate (plume is its name) has monospace font which is default, I
> never changed that as I myself just use vi in shell - out of habit. My
> guess is, the developers that forked mate from GNOME really have a
> philosophy "do not make any changed unless they are absolutely necessary".
> This way our teachers taught us to program way back, BTW. Anyway, maybe
> switching to mate will help to avoid frustration.

I gotta agree with you on that (never mind the occasional issue with
some Mate component that irritates me). Never could figure out why
Gnome would want to take something that was good, then throw it away
in lieu of something indecipherable. but that's just me.

               Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths;
                     Guide me in your truth and teach me,
                         for you are God my Savior,
                    And my hope is in you all day long.