[CentOS] SSD drives for the OS - 1 or 2?

Tue Jan 5 02:55:29 UTC 2016
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 1/4/2016 4:26 PM, Rob Kampen wrote:
> It seems most SSD are in laptop drive size, shape and interface - thus
> not a good fit into a server motherboard unless I'm missing something.
> - what devices are you using?

server motherboards don't care what size the drives are, that's a
function of your server *chassis*.    You can always put a 2.5" drive in
a 3.5" adapter, but many modern servers are designed specifically for
2.5" drives, especially servers using SAS.

example, note the two servers on the top of the closer rack.
https://pierce.smugmug.com/By-Date/2012/2012-02-09/i-8WfCvLJ/0/X3/IMG_0318-X3.jpg

those are HP DL180g6, each holds 25 2.5" SAS hotswap drives in a 2U form
factor.

I *do* recommend getting 'enterprise' grade SSDs that have 'supercaps'
to ensure they can flush their write buffers on a power failure.