[CentOS] SSD drives for the OS - 1 or 2?

Tue Jan 5 14:00:28 UTC 2016
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 01/04/2016 06:26 PM, Rob Kampen wrote:
> Preparing to build a small replacement server (initially built in 2005)
> and normally for the OS I would buy 2x500GB drives and deploy in a RAID
> 1 configuration.
> Now we have SSD drives available
> - does just a single SSD drive offer the same reliability or is there
> advantage in deploying two in a Raid 1 config?
>
> Also, what form factor / interface is best for the SSD OS boot device on
> a server M/B? Anything I should be looking for?
> It seems most SSD are in laptop drive size, shape and interface - thus
> not a good fit into a server motherboard unless I'm missing something.
> - what devices are you using?

A drive is a drive .. ssd's fail from time to time too.  While you may
not get the same rate of failure as with spinning disks, drives do fail
and the ability to shift seemlessly from one drive to another
automatically when using raid 1 far outweighs any disadvantages (which
is basically just double the cost for storage devices).

I would always use raid 1 on important devices.