[CentOS] Just need to vent

Sun Jan 24 19:42:35 UTC 2016
Matt Garman <matthew.garman at gmail.com>

I haven't used gnome3, or any Linux desktop in earnest for a long time...
But I used to be semi-obsessed with tweaking and configuring various Linux
desktops. And back when I was doing that, there were dozens of desktop
programs available, from super lightweight bare bones window managers, to
full blown desktop environments that do everything under the sun (and of
course, everything in between).

So my question is: while gnome3 might not float your boat, why not try one
of the countless other desktops? It's all open source...

FWIW, I was never a fan of full blown desktop environments like kde/gnome
simply because I had a preference for lightweight, standalone window
managers. My favorites were fluxbox and icewm.

Besides those, off the top of my head, I know of: blackbox, openbox, Joe's
wm, window maker, and enlightenment 16 in the simple/lightweight window
manager category. Xfce has already been mentioned, and there's also lde and
the latest enlightenment in the full-on desktop environment category.

A little elbow grease may be required, but, I'm certain there's *a* Linux
gui out there for everyone.