[CentOS] CentOS 6, iscsi,

Denniston, Todd A CIV NAVSURFWARCENDIV Crane todd.denniston at navy.mil
Thu Jul 7 17:19:56 UTC 2016

Thu Jul 7 14:47:23 UTC 2016, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Hi, folks,
>
>    I installed the iscsi packages, and I *thought* that the first thing to
> do was configure /etc/tgt/target.conf. Am I wrong? Did I have to
> configure iSNS on the RAID appliance?

One thing to make sure you have straight is Target vs. Initiator [2], for me it originally felt like the names were backwards.  I would expect the physical RAID machine to be the Target. Was that your expectation too, as it is a little unclear from the para above?

>    All that I find on the web, incl. upstream docs, is to install it, then
> start the service.

It might have helped if you had pointed at which upstream docs... some are better than others on the same subject.

When I did a test of it, I found starting with the Target creation doc [1]  and following with the Initiator doc[3] (each on different RH/CentOS boxes) helped me to figure it out.  BTW while in [1] they use /dev/vdb it works as well with real /dev/sd* or Logical Volumes, I don't recall _trying_ with PVs.

[1] https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Storage_Administration_Guide/ch-iscsi.html

[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISCSI#Initiator

[3] https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Storage_Administration_Guide/iscsi-api.html

Even when this disclaimer is not here:
I am not a contracting officer. I do not have authority to make or modify the terms of any contract.