[CentOS] users unable to log into kde after 6.8 update

Thu Jul 21 17:19:55 UTC 2016
Nicolas Thierry-Mieg <Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at imag.fr>

On 07/21/2016 01:56 PM, Jose Maria Terry Jimenez wrote:
> El 21/7/16 a las 8:53, geo.inbox.ignore escribió:
>
>> greetings to all.
>>
>> centos = 6.8 current
>> system = toshiba l455d-s5976 laptop
>>
>> a new problem has developed after 1st updating of 6.8.
>>
>> regular user is not able to open kde desktop, can open
>> gnome desktop.
>>
>> root user can open either kde or gnome desktop.
>>
>> as a user, when i try to open kde, after entering password,
>> screen goes to a solid blue, then shows a quick full screen
>> view of command line text, too quick to read, then screen
>> changes back to login prompt.
>>
>> logged in as root, i created a second user, still have same
>> results as above.
>>
>> searching thru 2+ years of local archives revealed nothing,
>> nor does web searching.
>>
>> any advise, recommendation, suggestion appreciated.
>>
>> tia.

I noticed the same problem on a friend's laptop (though I hadn't tried
logging in as root). I was in a hurry so couldn't investigate much, but
I downgraded xorg-x11-server-common and xorg-x11-server-Xorg to their
previous versions and the problem was gone.
Does "yum downgrade xorg-x11-server-common xorg-x11-server-Xorg" solve
it for you?