[CentOS] users unable to log into kde after 6.8 update [RESOLVED]

Sat Jul 23 08:21:53 UTC 2016
geo.inbox.ignored <geo.inbox.ignored at gmail.com>

hello Nicolas,

thank you for your reply.

On 07/21/16 12:19, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:
> On 07/21/2016 01:56 PM, Jose Maria Terry Jimenez wrote:
>> El 21/7/16 a las 8:53, geo.inbox.ignore escribió:
>>
>>> greetings to all.
>>>
>>> centos = 6.8 current
>>> system = toshiba l455d-s5976 laptop
>>>
>>> a new problem has developed after 1st updating of 6.8.
>>>
>>> regular user is not able to open kde desktop, can open
>>> gnome desktop.
>>>
>>> root user can open either kde or gnome desktop.
>>>
>>> as a user, when i try to open kde, after entering password,
>>> screen goes to a solid blue, then shows a quick full screen
>>> view of command line text, too quick to read, then screen
>>> changes back to login prompt.
>>>
>>> logged in as root, i created a second user, still have same
>>> results as above.
>>>
>>> searching thru 2+ years of local archives revealed nothing,
>>> nor does web searching.
>>>
>>> any advise, recommendation, suggestion appreciated.
>>>
>>> tia.
>>>

> I noticed the same problem on a friend's laptop (though I hadn't tried
> logging in as root). I was in a hurry so couldn't investigate much, but
> I downgraded xorg-x11-server-common and xorg-x11-server-Xorg to their
> previous versions and the problem was gone.
> Does "yum downgrade xorg-x11-server-common xorg-x11-server-Xorg" solve
> it for you?

--->

yes does.

users are now able to open kde desktop without getting dropped
back out.

still no idea of cause, but for now system will be running with
x11 downgraded.

being that your friend and i are only 2 reported cases of problem,
i do not feel that it is worth filing a bug report.

tho i am having a problem with my mid tower having dropped in
speed after fresh install of 6.8, it may be because it is about
10 yro and problem is with hardware. not something i am going to
worry about for not because i will be retiring it next month with
an amd quad system.

i am most appreciative for your reply and solution.

--

peace out.

-+-
Tired of having your microsoft os hacked?
Change to Linux os, used by microsoft hackers.
-+-
-+-

CentOS GNU/Linux 6.8

tc,hago.