[CentOS] OpenSSL Update - not a security update???

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Wed Mar 2 15:20:35 UTC 2016

On Wed, March 2, 2016 5:24 am, Anthony K wrote:
> On Tue, 2016-03-01 at 21:58 -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> On 03/01/2016 09:41 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> > BUt the security plugins do not work for CentOS and they never have,
>> > Peter is correct, you need to run yum update or call out the specific
>> > packages you want updated.
>> >

> I totally understand the necessity of a full system update.  However, this
> begs
> the question "Why code an option into yum that is of no use?"

We are talking here CentOS and RHEL Linux. yum is an abbreviation of:
"Yellowdog Update Manager". It was originally created by YellowDog Linux
project for their Linux distribution. I don't know is they (YellowDog)
actually using this particular feature or not, but RedHat (and hence
CentOS) use features of yum they think fitting in their model.
Incidentally, sometimes even when the project uses his own creature
itself, they may end up abandoning some of the features that were
originally coded in. Everyone who ever architectured some project himself,
know that that often happens.

Valeri

> Was there a
> time
> when this option was functional?  If yes, what caused its removal?  Was it
> system compromise at some big corporation and someone got sued/fired?
> What?
>  Don't spare any gory details either!
>

> ak.

Valeri Galtsev