[CentOS] CentOS-7-x86_64-GenericCloud.raw very unusual format

Tue Mar 22 01:06:38 UTC 2016
Martinx - ジェームズ <thiagocmartinsc at gmail.com>

On 21 March 2016 at 11:51, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:

> On 21/03/16 14:34, Aliaksei Sheshka wrote:
> > What is the point to pack single raw file into the tar.gz and to name it
> raw ?
> > Or it's just a mistake ?
> >

> Johnny is looking at the cdn side of thigs, but effectively we will not
> have a .raw - we will have a .raw.tar.gz file ( which will itself only
> have a .raw file compressed inside it )
>

> --
> Karanbir Singh
> +44-207-0999389 | http://www.karan.org/ | twitter.com/kbsingh
> GnuPG Key : http://www.karan.org/publickey.asc

Why not a compressed qcow2?

Like: CentOS-7-x86_64-GenericCloud.qcow2c

This way, we can add it as-is to OpenStack Glance, that it will be
downloaded by demand, when required and, OpenStack Nova will automatically
uncompress the image for runtime.

Cheers!
Thiago