[CentOS] OT: hardware: MegaCli and initializing a RAID

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Fri May 6 21:08:17 UTC 2016

On Fri, May 6, 2016 1:36 pm, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Got a new box I'm trying to set up. I configured the RAID from the
> firmware, but "fast initialize" was sitting there at 0% (it's about 43 or
> 45TB). The first time I tried this, I said background, and rebooted the
> system.
>
> And the stupid annoying alarm started up as the system came up.
>
> This time, having *finally* figured out how to set up hot spares from the
> WebBIOS, I suspended the fast initialization, and brought the system up.
>
> Googling, I can't find a command to continue the initialization. Anyone
> know of one, or is what I want to do rebuild the RAID?

I agree with what John said about their command line interface MegaCli.
One thing I have noticed about LSI MegaRaids is: if you hot replace bad
drive with good one of the same size or larger (which doesn't have on it
traces of being configured in any raid, not necessarily LSI), then the
drive is accepted as replacement member into the same volume group, and
array gets rebuilt in background automagically. You may want to check
first if it is on its way rebuilding already.

Valeri

>        mark

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator