[CentOS] Internal RAID controllers question

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Mon May 9 00:49:41 UTC 2016

On Sun, May 8, 2016 7:12 pm, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 5/6/2016 2:26 PM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>> Which internal hardware RAID controllers will survive some future to
>> come
>> in your estimate. First of all my beloved 3ware finally seems to have
>> passed away. After multiple acquisitions and becoming part of LSI and
>> getting bought with LSI, it probably became non operational. Namely, the
>> latest 3ware cards have ancient firmware. Neither of them supports 4kn
>> drives. This speaks for itself for me. [Under new ownership] LSI, though
>> still having new controllers released, and one of their MegaRAID
>> controllers (at least) having support for 4kn drives, still may not last
>> long (just my feeling, I'd like to hear yours). So, what RAID
>> controllers
>> will those of us who like to have hardware RAIDs use in some future to
>> come?
>

> IMHO, "Hardware" (really embedded firmware) RAID is for Windows servers,
> since MS Windows has awful integrated software raid (aka 'dynamic disk',
> truly a mess).   With Linux, I'd rather use LVM, with BSD, ZFS.

I didn't intend to [re]start software vs hardware RAID war, I tried to
stress it in my original post. So, those who hate hardware RAIDs, please,
let this tread go and let folks who like, use, and have knowledge of
hardware RAIDs answer my questions with their insights without fear to be
shushed or ridiculed by hardware RAID haters.

Thanks a lot for your kind consideration, everybody. And thanks a lot in
advance to those who will share their insights.

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago