[CentOS] [MASSMAIL] Dovecot on C7.2 - secure internet access

Thu May 5 14:56:09 UTC 2016
Gary Stainburn <gary at ringways.co.uk>

On Thursday 05 May 2016 15:34:48 Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Connect with:
>
> openssl s_client -connect <your server IP address>:143 -starttls imap
>
> Then issue IMAP commands:
>
> 01 CAPABILITY
> 02 LOGIN user password
> 03 LOGOUT
>
> That should be successful and you should have seen the configured AUTH
> mechanisms. Now try without transport layer security:
>
> telnet <your server IP address> 143
>
> 01 LOGIN user password
>
> That should be forbidden because of LOGINDISABLED.
>
> Regards
>
> Alexander

Thanks for this Alexander.

I tried this from inside my LAN and both the openssl and the telnet sessions
worked.
I then tried it from outside my LAN and the openssl session worked while the
telnet session failed.

Exactly what I wanted.  That does beg the question as to why Thunderbird
failed.