[CentOS] [MASSMAIL] Dovecot on C7.2 - secure internet access

Thu May 5 14:34:48 UTC 2016
Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org>

Am 05.05.2016 um 16:18 schrieb Gary Stainburn:
> I've tried the changes that I put below. Users are still able to log in from
> the LAN.
>
> However, despite putting the appropriate rule in my firewall allowing port 143
> I cannot create a user on a PC outside my network.
>
> I'm using Thunderbird to do the testing.  Is there a better way to test my
> setup?  Thunderbird doesn't give any diagnostic data, it just says it's
> failed to test the account.

Connect with:

openssl s_client -connect <your server IP address>:143 -starttls imap

Then issue IMAP commands:

01 CAPABILITY
02 LOGIN user password
03 LOGOUT

That should be successful and you should have seen the configured AUTH
mechanisms. Now try without transport layer security:

telnet <your server IP address> 143

01 LOGIN user password

That should be forbidden because of LOGINDISABLED.

Regards

Alexander