[CentOS] Suggestions for Config Management Tool

Thu May 12 17:21:49 UTC 2016
Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com>

On 05/12/2016 12:22 AM, Götz Reinicke - IT Koordinator wrote:
> Are there any known good resources for a comparison of e.g. Puppet,
> Chef, Ansible etc?

https://bitbucket.org/gordonmessmer/config-comparison/overview

I wrote one for my current employer, when I started, in order to get
consensus from my coworkers on which system to use.  The comparison
described a specific set of tasks that were common, under 5 config
management systems.

Obviously, I do not have extensive experience with all of the systems,
and some of the solutions described may not be the solutions that an
expert would provide.  If anyone wants to submit changes, I'll add
them.  Also, the document is somewhat out of date.  Since I wrote it,
I've submitted a substantial number of fixes to bcfg2 to address almost
all of the deficiencies that I identified.

If I were in that position again, though, I think Ansible would be the
easy choice.  There are a whole lot of things I like about bcfg2, but
development is mostly inactive.