[CentOS] dnf replacing yum?

Thu May 26 10:17:30 UTC 2016
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 05/26/2016 04:31 AM, Yamaban wrote:
> On Thu, 26 May 2016 08:00, James Hogarth wrote:

>>> There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth when these changes
>>> rolled into Fedora.  After a while, I got used to it and now it seems
>>> normal. Plus, if you type "yum update" it responds "what your really
>>> should type is dnf update, but I'll do it for you anyway".
>>
>> There was a mail on the Fedora development list recently from one of the
>> internal Red Hat RHEL yum guys.
>>
>> It implied that in RHEL the command would remain yum and not change to
>> dnf,
>> although the internals will no doubt do so at some point.
>
> Well, from what I've heard from some Red Hat RHEL Kernel guys, it will be
> likely in RHEL 8.x as default with a yum compat cli, but unlikely to get
> into RHEL 7.x as replacement for yum, and should stay confined to EPEL.
> The reason given was: "(DNF is) not quite Enterprise ready, yet. Lets look
> again during Fedora 25".

Based on previous RHEL history I would agree with Yamaban's take
(probably in RHEL 8.x, likely not in RHEL 7).  But Red Hat has been a
bit less conservative with making changes to RHEL 7 than they were the
previous version of RHEL.

Still, for them to make a change there would need to be some driving
force for that change (IMHO).  For example, if there were new technology
areas (containers, cloud) where dnf had major functionality advantages
over yum, then they might consider a change.  Otherwise, I just don't
see it.

But, I have been wrong before .. a lot .. so take that with a grain of
salt :)

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes