[CentOS] dnf replacing yum?

Thu May 26 11:07:32 UTC 2016
James Hogarth <james.hogarth at gmail.com>

On 26 May 2016 at 11:17, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

> On 05/26/2016 04:31 AM, Yamaban wrote:

> >> There was a mail on the Fedora development list recently from one of the
> >> internal Red Hat RHEL yum guys.
> >>
> >> It implied that in RHEL the command would remain yum and not change to
> >> dnf,
> >> although the internals will no doubt do so at some point.
> >
> > Well, from what I've heard from some Red Hat RHEL Kernel guys, it will be
> > likely in RHEL 8.x as default with a yum compat cli, but unlikely to get
> > into RHEL 7.x as replacement for yum, and should stay confined to EPEL.
> > The reason given was: "(DNF is) not quite Enterprise ready, yet. Lets
> look
> > again during Fedora 25".
> >

> Based on previous RHEL history I would agree with Yamaban's take
> (probably in RHEL 8.x, likely not in RHEL 7).  But Red Hat has been a
> bit less conservative with making changes to RHEL 7 than they were the
> previous version of RHEL.
>
> Still, for them to make a change there would need to be some driving
> force for that change (IMHO).  For example, if there were new technology
> areas (containers, cloud) where dnf had major functionality advantages
> over yum, then they might consider a change.  Otherwise, I just don't
> see it.
>
> But, I have been wrong before .. a lot .. so take that with a grain of
> salt :)

To make it clear here is the specific link on the fedora-devel archives
discussing this:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/message/ALJVP7YTSEPC4HNH6JSFMFM6MCUP5HAT/

"Currently we're slated to keep yum as the primary name/command for package
management in RHEL. It may or may not be backed by dnf at some point; we're
still looking at the pros & cons and how to bring better compatibility if
we go down this path."

So my expectation is that RHEL8 will use dnf internally but the interface
will be called yum