[CentOS] Trouble setting up HP Officejet Pro 8600 printer on CentOS 7 + KDE

Fri Nov 11 07:49:04 UTC 2016
Nicolas Kovacs <info at microlinux.fr>

Hi,

I just installed a CentOS 7 + KDE desktop in my office's network. So
far, I'm quite happy with the results, though I have some trouble
getting the printer to work. All the other machines in my office
(server, desktops, workstation) are running Slackware64 14.1 or 14.2,
and they can all use the printer perfectly.

I installed hplip-gui and ran it. The printer is a network printer, it
has a static IP in the network and can also be addressed by its hostname.

  [kikinovak at alphamule:~] $ host hp-officejet
  hp-officejet.microlinux.lan has address 192.168.2.252

When I run hp-setup with the default options, the setup program "sees"
the printer, but informs me that there is a "communication problem". I
figure this is because the default seach method is mDNS/Bonjour. I tried
again with the SLP option, and this time the setup procedure went OK. Or
it seemed so, as the test page was blank.

Now what?

A few details about my system: SELinux, IPv6 and firewall are disabled.
CUPS is running OK. I checked on the HP website that this printer
requires HPLIP 3.11.10 or greater, which seems OK, since the HPLIP
version shipping with CentOS is 3.13.something.

Cheers,

Niki

7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
Web  : http://www.microlinux.fr