[CentOS] linux-3.10.0-514.el7.tar.xz - process of creation

Fri Nov 25 22:45:00 UTC 2016
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 9:13 AM, Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org> wrote:
> Am 25.11.2016 um 15:03 schrieb Staazul:
>>
>> I try to create own patch for kernel, and I look in process of
>> generation binary rpm file.
>> As I can see, for creation binary package, rpmbuild doesn't uses any set
>> of patches and doesn't uses file of original (vanilla) version of
>> kernel. Instead it, I see some xz archive of compressed tree of kernel
>> probably with all changes (linux-3.10.0-514.el7.tar.xz). How and where I
>> can find process of creation of this archive and to see separately all
>> set of patches? I want to remove some changes and add own.
>>
>> Many thanks to all, who have such info and can give link on process or
>> link on documentations of process of creation of this archive.
>>
>> best regards, Andrei
>

> You cannot easily bisect the kernel tarball provided. Some time ago Red Hat
> had dediced to use this way of prividing the sources of their kernel because
> well knowns had started an aggressive business to hijack RHEL customers.
>
> See i.e.
> https://linux.slashdot.org/story/11/03/04/1550231/red-hat-stops-shipping-kernel-changes-as-patches
>
> Alexander

That article is not quite accurate. As I noted in my earlier post, the
patches are available. As a RHEL subscriber, I can see and search
them:

https://access.redhat.com/articles/1130403

I would be surprised if no one at Oracle can afford to pay for an
entitlement. ;)

Akemi