[CentOS] [OT] How to recover data from an IDE drive

Thu Oct 27 01:10:05 UTC 2016
Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca>

On 26/10/16 09:01 PM, TE Dukes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As some may recall, I suffered a hardware failure of a 10 yr old IBM
> Netvista back in January. I was backing up my personal data, 'My Documents',
> to my CentOS server but I apparently didn't get my emails.
>
> It was a main board failure and I believe the data is still good on the hard
> drive. Only problem, its an IDE drive and my server and new PC have SATA
> drives.
>
> Is it possible to install the old drive as a secondary drive into a newer PC
> with SATA drives? If so, how do I do this? I need to access the emails.
>
> This was a Windows XP machine using Outlook as the mail client.
>
> TIA!!!!!!

There are plenty of IDE to USB adapters out there, so one of those is
probably best. Here's what amazon has when searching for 'ide to usb':

https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ide+to+usb

Most should work fine in Linux, but if you narrow down a specific
make/model, a quick google search should confirm linux support.

--
Digimer
access to education?