[CentOS] HP Envy EFI problem after BIOS update

Jim Perrin jperrin at centos.org
Wed Sep 14 13:09:35 UTC 2016

On 09/14/2016 07:40 AM, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> I had to boot my HP Envy into Win8 for the first time in ages this morning.
> When I did that, it installed some updates including a BIOS update.
>
> Once this was all done, once again the GRUB boot menu was gone and it booted
> straight into Win8.  Using the advanced boot manager options in Win8 I
> managed to get the EFI boot menu up and chose Ferdora 21.
>
> It was only after Fedora failed to boot that I realised that this was wrong.
> Some time ago I had replaced F21 with Centos 7 and the three Centos 7 options
> were the ones that should be available - plus the Windows 8 boot manager.
>
> I have managed to boot into a Centos 7 Live KDE image. In this ran efibootmgr
> which shows the same thing.  I can fix the boot sequence, but that will not
> get me back the Centos entries.
>
> Can anyone suggest how I can do that?

In some BIOS/firmwares you'll have the option to 'add' an entry, and you
can just point a new one to EFI/centos/shim.efi, save and be done with it.

Otherwise you can do something like:

efibootmgr -c -d /dev/sda -p 1 -L "CentOS" -l '\EFI\centos\shim.efi'

there are a couple efi files inside /boot/efi/EFI/centos, but shim is
the one to point to for secureboot to work properly.

> Gary
>
> [root at localhost ~]# efibootmgr
> BootCurrent: 0000
> Timeout: 0 seconds
> BootOrder: 2002,0002,3002,0001,2001,2003
> Boot0000* Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive (UEFI)
> Boot0001* Fedora
> Boot0002* Windows Boot Manager
> Boot2001* USB Drive (UEFI)
> Boot2002* Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive (UEFI)
> Boot3000* Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk
> Boot3002* Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk
> [root at localhost ~]#

Jim Perrin