[CentOS] How to enable the svm cpu flag inside a vm?

Leonard den Ottolander leonard at den.ottolander.nl
Mon Sep 26 16:35:22 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Sun, 2016-09-25 at 10:46 -0400, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> Nested Virtualization will be a tech preview in RHEL 7.3 Beta, and so
> it'll be available after RHEL 7.3 is released and CentOS rebuilds it.

Gave the beta a try. The option "nested" for AMD cpu's is no longer
automatically set. You have to either add kvm-amd.nested=1 on the kernel
boot line or configure modprobe:

echo "options kvm-amd nested=1" >> /etc/modprobe.d/kvm_amd.conf

Configure the guest to use "host-passthrough" as the cpu type. Using
"host-model" (copy host cpu) did not work for me. /dev/kvm wasn't
available.

I haven't installed Android Studio yet, but since both the svm cpu flag
and /dev/kvm seem to be available I expect the Android Emulator to work
inside the vm.

Enjoy,
Leonard.