[CentOS] IPMI ??

Sun Sep 18 04:27:11 UTC 2016
Alice Wonder <alice at domblogger.net>

On 09/17/2016 09:15 PM, Keith Keller wrote:
> On 2016-09-17, Alice Wonder <alice at domblogger.net> wrote:
>>
>> Okay if it requires DHCP this might be out, I'm currently out of town
>> watching my brothers (various disabilities) while parents are on much
>> needed vacation. Don't have easy physical access to the router, would
>> have to take out stuff in front of it. Was hoping crossover ethernet
>> would work.
>
> It probably would, but you still need some way to assign an IP address
> to the IPMI interface (it probably doesn't have one out of the box).
> But from your laptop you can run a DHCP server which would then assign
> an IP to the IPMI interface.
>
> The IPMI might self-assign if it can't find a DHCP server, but in my
> memory (which might be faulty) it doesn't do this.
>
> If for some reason Java doesn't work from your browser, Supermicro also
> distributes a Java GUI tool for interacting with Supermicro IPMI
> interfaces.  It also supports a subnet scanner, so you don't need to
> know the IP that gets assigned.  Look for IPMIview here:

I bought a VGA capable. I don't yet know if the video card is bad or the
board just can't use it, I'll find that out later.

But for now via VGA cable it is all working.

For what's worth, removing both flash and java capabilities from my
browser was the second best thing I ever did (privacy badger the best),
don't want to re-install either.

Once I'm back home and this server is set up where it goes, I'll try
playing with non-browser IPMI tools and see what it is all about.