[CentOS] How to move /var to another partition

Sun Sep 25 22:01:38 UTC 2016
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 9/25/2016 2:51 PM, J Martin Rushton wrote:
> Good point that I should have mentioned earlier.  Remember that if
> _anything_  in the VM changes (such as a log entry), then the host system
> will see the virtual disk as changed and back the whole thing up.  You
> can end up backing up 20 GiB per day just to accommodate a few KiB
> change in the VM.
>
> A lot depends on how you do your backups, but I set things so that if
> the VM is running at backup time_it_  backs up its disks, not the host.

indeed.  I exclude the VM storage entirely from my backups, and instead
backup each VM as tho its a seperate machine.   BackupPC 'pulls' the
backups from the clients using rsync, so this is really easy to setup
(just setup ssh keys for backuppc to each guest, and tell it what paths
to backup...)