[CentOS] How to move /var to another partition

Mon Sep 26 03:03:35 UTC 2016
Robert Nichols <rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net>

On 09/25/2016 04:51 PM, J Martin Rushton wrote:

> On 25/09/16 20:56, Robert Nichols wrote:
>>
>> What I do is have a separate logical volume for /var/lib/libvirt,
>> with /var/lib/libvirt/etc bind-mounted to /etc/libvirt. It keeps
>> all the libvirt stuff together, since the backup requirements
>> there are quite different from the rest of the system.
>>
> Good point that I should have mentioned earlier.  Remember that if
> _anything_ in the VM changes (such as a log entry), then the host system
> will see the virtual disk as changed and back the whole thing up.  You
> can end up backing up 20 GiB per day just to accommodate a few KiB
> change in the VM.
>
> A lot depends on how you do your backups, but I set things so that if
> the VM is running at backup time _it_ backs up its disks, not the host.

Indeed! Having the host include the VM image files in its backup
is equivalent to using "dd" to back up entire disk images and
having that as your sole backup mechanism.

                 Do NOT delete it.