[CentOS] HTTPS certificates (off topic)

Thu Sep 29 03:39:51 UTC 2016
Alice Wonder <alice at domblogger.net>

On 09/28/2016 05:46 PM, Jerry Geis wrote:
> How do I get a valid certificate for a box that is behind a firewall and
> does not have a DNS entry?
>
> I was looking at letsencrypt.org but currently it looks like a valid DNS
> entry is needed, of which I don't have.
>
> There is nothing special about my setup, its just a box that is not
> directly on the internet, no DNS entry but I need HTTPS to run correctly.
>
> How do I generate a trusted certificate base on IP or something?
>
> How can I do that? Thanks,
>
> Jerry

You create a self-signed certificate.

The first time a browser connects, it will give the user a warning. You
can suppress that warning when connecting with scripts - either by
globally accepting any self-signed certificate or by setting up your own
CA that the script tools are scripted to trust.

I believe self-signed work with either IP or with a hostname on your
local network.