[CentOS] HTTPS certificates (off topic)

Thu Sep 29 03:40:40 UTC 2016
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 9/28/2016 5:46 PM, Jerry Geis wrote:
> How do I get a valid certificate for a box that is behind a firewall and
> does not have a DNS entry?
>
> I was looking at letsencrypt.org but currently it looks like a valid DNS
> entry is needed, of which I don't have.
>
> There is nothing special about my setup, its just a box that is not
> directly on the internet, no DNS entry but I need HTTPS to run correctly.
>
> How do I generate a trusted certificate base on IP or something?

use most the PKI/SSL tool on the box to generate a certificate signing
request (CSR), copy this small test file any way you want (copy/paste
from a terminal session?  put on a USB stick?) and send it to a
certificate authority, they generate a signed certificate, you bring the
resulting CRT back and import it back into the server's key store.

if this is https just for private use, you could run your own private
root CA, sign your own certificates, it would simply be necessary to
import your CA's public key into any browser that you want to trust the
signed private keys.