[CentOS] Network configuration: desktop vs. laptop

Sun Apr 9 08:29:24 UTC 2017
Nux! <nux at li.nux.ro>

Hi Niki,

On CentOS it's normal for both wireless and wired to be connected at the same time, maybe what you are seeing is just the icon's being confusing or not being replaced with the right thing?

This is easy to check, just issue an "ip route". On My system I can see something like this:

default via 192.168.0.1 dev eth0  proto static
192.168.0.0/24 dev eth0  proto kernel  scope link  src 192.168.0.16  metric 1
192.168.0.0/24 dev wlan0  proto kernel  scope link  src 192.168.0.13  metric 2

Routing will prefer eth0 (wired), with the smaller metric, giving you the better performance.

I found this quite handy a couple of times, say you remove the laptop from the desk and go in the garden or something, you won't lose your connections.

Nux!
www.nux.ro