[CentOS] OT: systemd Poll

Tue Apr 11 16:51:14 UTC 2017

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 09:24:11AM -0700, Bruce Ferrell wrote:
> Well, sorta yes and sorta no Jonathan.  Yes, in that I've moved my
> personal systems to Linux distros that don't use systemd.
>
> No in the it's not "FUD"... The complaints about the code and
> development are facts.  Not alternative facts, real, verifiable
> incidents and outages.
>
> Professionally, I end up having to deal with these incidents that
> suck my time and effort and irritate my customers.
>
> Just move on, ISN'T a solution.
>
> I deal in solutions.  Partially, where possible, I move my customers
> to system that don't have this viral infection just as I moved them
> off of windows, where possible.
>
> systemd isn't "the death of linux".  It is a serious quagmire that
> needs to be resolved.  That can only happen by confronting the issue
> head on.  step one is admitting a problem exists.

While some of these might be valid concerns, the CentOS mailing list
isn't really the place where you'll be able to achieve those goals.
CentOS is a rebuild of RHEL, with very little change.  Maybe as a Red
Hat customer, you might get more traction complaining about how their
OS runs.

I suggest getting involved with the systemd project if you'd like to
make positive change there.  You can also participate in the Fedora
Project if you'd like to influence how systemd manages the OS.  You'll
also have plenty of heads-up about things coming down the pipe before
they hit CentOS.

If you want a real head-scratcher, take a look at how systemd --user
runs on Fedora 25.  It is my current painful interaction with
systemd.