[CentOS] Fedora bugs and EOL [was Re: CentOS users: please try and provide feedback on Fedora] Boltron

Thu Aug 3 13:25:36 UTC 2017
hw <hw at gc-24.de>

Mark Haney wrote:
> On 08/02/2017 10:57 AM, hw wrote:
>>
>> It probably makes sense under the assumption that you do pretty much
>> everything in one container or another and that it doesn´t bother you
>> having to switch between all the containers to do something.  That would
>> require something like a window manager turned into a container manager,
>> and it goes towards turning away from an operating system to some kind of
>> BIOS to run containers and the container-window manager on.  You could strip
>> down the BIOS to no more than the functionality needed for that, resulting
>> in having less need for different software versions of the platform (BIOS).
>>
>> Why hasn´t a BIOS like that already been invented?  Or has it?
>>
>> Since copyright issues were mentioned, please keep in mind that I am now
>> the inventor of a container manager that is like a window manager,
>> potentially showing programs running in whatever container as windows
>> on your screen, bringing them together seamlessly with no further ado, as
>> if they were running on the same OS:  A common window manager would show an
>> emacs frame besides an xterm; a container-window manager would basically do
>> the same, but emacs and xterm would be running in different containers.
>>
>> OS/2 already had something like that, but it didn´t have containers.
>>
>> Why hasn´t a container manager like that already been invented? Or has it?
>>
>> Wouldn´t it be much better being able to do this without needing containers?
>
> Sure there is such a thing.  It's a tiled console package (tilix is what I use).

I think I´ll check that out.

> In all honesty, I wouldn't want Libreoffice running in a container and I can't imagine why you'd want an xterm in its own container.

It was only an example.  The point of doing that is to use different versions of
xterm and of emacs as come by default.  How else would I do that when non-default
versions of packages require their own container each?

> Most containers I've built have been RESTful API containers, NGINX proxies/web servers, etc.  I spend more time on the container host making changes, than in the containers themselves.  If an API change has been made, I throw a new container up with that change and test, rarely, if ever, do I need access the container directly.  And that's the idea behind containers if you ask me.

Really?  It´s a lot of work to set up a container.

When you run things like emacs or Libreoffice in a container, how do you use them
without accessing the container?  How do you change the applications you´re programming
that are residing in your webserver container without accessing the container?

Why wouldn´t you run Libreoffice in a container?  You might want to use the latest version
rather than the default one.  So you´d install the version you want, and since it runs
in a container, it´s what you get.