[CentOS] Fedora bugs and EOL [was Re: CentOS users: please try and provide feedback on Fedora] Boltron

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Aug 2 15:13:40 UTC 2017

On Wed, 2 Aug 2017, Mark Haney wrote:

> Sure there is such a thing.  It's a tiled console package (tilix is what I
> use).  In all honesty, I wouldn't want Libreoffice running in a container and
> I can't imagine why you'd want an xterm in its own container.  Most
> containers I've built have been RESTful API containers, NGINX proxies/web
> servers, etc.  I spend more time on the container host making changes, than
> in the containers themselves.  If an API change has been made, I throw a new
> container up with that change and test, rarely, if ever, do I need access the
> container directly.  And that's the idea behind containers if you ask me.

Lots of people think of containers being for servers, as you say.  It's what
Docker lives off, and really does feel like the focus of Docker.

Singularity lets you think somewhat differently, and has proved very useful in
areas like HPC, where you want to let a user bring a software environment to a
machine.  You get people like OpenFOAM releasing their software as a Docker
container:

https://openfoam.org/download/4-1-linux/

I've also used it to run Ubuntu packaged software on CentOS without having to
jump through hoops trying to repackage it or otherwise rebuild a million
dependencies in just the right way.

jh