[CentOS] what is CodeMeter and why is it running on my CentOS box?

Sun Aug 13 02:00:26 UTC 2017
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 06:49:01PM -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 8/12/2017 6:25 PM, Fred Smith wrote:
> >I just stumbled over /var/log/CodeMeter, which contains a number of large
> >log files.
> >
> >I know I'm getting old and forgetful, but I can't remember intentionally
> >installing that package.
> >
> >Yum just says "installed" instead of listing a repo.
> >
> >Looking at codemeter.com, it seems to work with something called a
> >"cm stick". I don't have one, don't want one, and never heard of them.
> >
> >Is there any reason I should be leery of just "yum remove"ing the
> >package?
> >
> >thanks!
>

> sounds like its dongle based copy protection for some application
> program.   you running any small market big dollar applicaitons,
> like CAD?  they are the most frequent user of such services.

Nope. not me. home desktop/mailserver/play/light-coding box.

could it be part of some exploit?

                      The eyes of the Lord are everywhere,
                    keeping watch on the wicked and the good.