[CentOS] what is CodeMeter and why is it running on my CentOS box?

Sun Aug 13 01:49:01 UTC 2017
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 8/12/2017 6:25 PM, Fred Smith wrote:
> I just stumbled over /var/log/CodeMeter, which contains a number of large
> log files.
>
> I know I'm getting old and forgetful, but I can't remember intentionally
> installing that package.
>
> Yum just says "installed" instead of listing a repo.
>
> Looking at codemeter.com, it seems to work with something called a
> "cm stick". I don't have one, don't want one, and never heard of them.
>
> Is there any reason I should be leery of just "yum remove"ing the
> package?
>
> thanks!

sounds like its dongle based copy protection for some application
program.   you running any small market big dollar applicaitons, like
CAD?  they are the most frequent user of such services.